Trimess

Friday, February 11, 2011

IS THIS THE HILL I WANT TO DIE ON?

That's the statement of an attorney who has just given me the short answer without detailed investigation into the actual Trimet HR policies and viewing my letters of reprimand.


A comprehensive answer will require a lengthy interview with an attorney and all the supporting documents.

Some folks say to me, “why do you even care about any of this”?
It’s not that I couldn’t live without doing these particular activities, but its symptomatic of a larger problem going on not only in our little corner of the world here at Trimet, but the whole country!

It’s called the extinguishing of ideas.
It’s the method that the management is using to get me to comply with their “orders”.
It’s the entire organizations complete disregard of our rights as employees and citizens.

Allowing Trimet to rule what I do off the job is dangerous precedent, for everybody that works here.

Each victory for the management emboldens them to take further liberties in regards to their employees.

The fight is really about freedom, not dispatch calls.

I am writing a response to this letter from Romo, I will send it out when it is complete.
At that time I will request a meeting with Hayden Talbot to discuss this matter.
There is no rush to complete the task.

After that step is complete, I will decide if “this is the hill I wish to die on”.

In the meantime, obviously I have to comply with the restrictions put on my freedom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You need to talk with an attorney with experience representing public employees. Unlike with private employers, most "at will" arguments don't apply. You have Constitutional protections that many private employees do not.