An operator was written up for taking a drink of water while the bus was at a red light. They were instructed to be off the bus before taking a drink of water.
Is this accurate?
Bus Operator Procedures
Title: Controlling Operator Driving Distractions SOP B812
Date: APPROVED 8/19/2010 Page 1 of 1
Operators should avoid activities that will distract from operating the vehicle in a safe,
• Personal electronic devices including but not limited to cell phones, pagers, MP3
players, headsets, earpieces, audio or video recording devices and video games
must be turned off and out of sight any time the operator is in the driver’s seat
whether or not the vehicle is in motion or in use. These devices may only be used
when the operator is out of the driver’s seat at a layover.
• Communications using agency authorized devices – VCH, handset, etc. – must be
• Avoid talking on the handset while the vehicle is in motion as much as possible.
• Do not operate the VCH or program overhead signs while the vehicle is in motion.
• Providing customers with operation-related information such as fare, route and
service information is a business requirement; however, conversations with
passengers should be short in duration and limited to customer service information
whenever possible to minimize distraction.
• Refrain from being photographed, recorded, or videotaped onboard while operating a
vehicle. The media must ask permission to interview. Refer the request to the
Communications Department (see HR-304 News Media Guidelines). Report media
requests and onboard videoing or photography to Dispatch.
• Do not eat or drink while operating a vehicle in motion.
• Do not allow friends or family members to ride your bus for any non-transportation
related purpose (see B101 Expectations of Every Operator).
• Do not punch, tear, or adjust transfers while the vehicle is in motion.
• Personal reading materials of any kind should only be read when parked at a
• Do not engage in any personal grooming activities while operating a vehicle in
• Do not attempt to complete paperwork of any kind while operating a vehicle in