Trimess

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Grinding your operators into the ground all the while pretending safety is a value

The following is a transcript of a recent dispatch call which was sent to me.
It's significant because it proves, once again, that safety is only hype at Trimet.
The management continues its unsafe practices and attempts to put all the blame on the operators when things go wrong.
 They keep getting away with it because our corporate media is very quick to point the finger at union labor.
The following shows quite clearly that the management has been fostering unsafe operating conditions, they've known about it for months, but yet they let it continue.
Is it possible that this sort of callous management contributes to operators "breaking down" and acting rude to the public"
You better believe it!


dispatch: 3306 how can I help you?

driver: yes ma'am, today is my 10 hour run and this particular line and train the longest break is 15 minutes, I'd like to take my lunch break at the next break, I'm already 9 minutes down and the time-slot is only for 12 minutes.

dispatch: well go ahead and take your 12 minutes, unfortunately we've been dealing with this for a couple of sign ups, you just have to let it lay, it just doesn't get better

driver: wow! I've been trying to call the scheduler that's responsible for this route but they never answer the phone but I will continue to try.

dispatch: yep cause I know we have been dealing with this for a couple of sign ups and yup there is just nothing and right now we don't even have any extra's to help you out.

driver:I appreciate your consideration

Dispatch: Just send us a ready for service when your ready to go please

1 comment:

Steve Fung said...

Great post AL.As a vacation relief driver,I am exposed to a variety of routes and schedules.There is no consistency from paddle to paddle.You saw me last week on the 20 when I had 9 minutes to use the restroom,eat a sandwich and grab a drink of water before I had to make another 2 hour run to Gresham.It is just not safe or fair sometimes.