Trimess

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Neil Macfarlane

A real highlight of our Board Briefing this morning was an appearance by Operator Dwight Botel. You read about Dwight in today's paycheck flier - he and KC Rogers were inducted into the Million Miles of Safety club last May. KC wasn't able to be there this morning, but Dwight was, along with his managers from Powell.

The reason I asked Shelly Lomax to introduce Dwight to the Board - right after Harry Saporta's safety update - is that I wanted the Board to meet one of the employees who's a real-life example of safety. As I listened to Shelly and Dwight talk about what it takes to drive MORE THAN 30 YEARS without a preventable accident, I felt proud and grateful.
Our Board members were truly impressed with Dwight's accomplishments. Rick Van Beveren said, "I don't know how you do it," and when Steve Clark learned that Dwight's son, Blaine, is an operator too, he joked, "Can your son teach my son to drive?" Everybody laughed, but I think there's an important and serious point behind what Steve said. Last year, 975 TriMet employees - operators and others with professional driving jobs - earned Safe Driver Awards. These employees are truly role models for the rest of us.
Neil

No comments: