Trimess

Monday, March 19, 2012

2 YEARS AGO




stengervid.jpgJames Stenger in a November video interview posted on YouTube.

Two days after I tried to contact James Lee Stenger to respond to accusations that he's behind a series of malicious and, frankly, horrific pranks and fake web sites targeting TriMet managers and union officials, he has contacted Hard Drive via our YouTube account.


"Joe Rose, you looking for me?" the 658-word response to The Oregonian story begins.

Stenger, a fired TriMet driver who now lives in Thailand, pleads innocence -- on everything. The racist accusations that got him fired as a TriMet driver. The resulting harassment conviction in Washington County. And the accusations that he's behind the latest wave of harassment aimed at union president Jonathan Hunt and General Manager Fred Hansen, among others.

I won't repost the entire message. But to be fair to a man who hasn't officially been charged with a crime, here are a few excerpts:

"Basically I use my computer for browsing the internet and sending email. So to say I am a hacker that's ridiculous. Also their is no forensic evidence out there tracing this stuff to me. Because I didn't do anything. If I had done, I am sure someone would of called me by now. We do get the news over you know. The Union and TriMet have screwed alot of people over, they should be investigating them as well. Since we are on the subject and you are in the position to find out things. John Hunt gave you some bad information."

On the night he harassed an employee at the Kauai Island Grill while wearing his TriMet uniform (Note: Stenger pleaded guilty to harassment in the case):

"My witness who was at the restaurant was not allowed to testify at my hearing. Also the Union never informed me as to when the hearings were coming up. So there never was a favorable grievance process. Also the N word was never used and that was proven by Washington County Court and is even in his transcript, which I presented to the Union and TriMet. ... Another thing I paid probably close to $1,000 for union protection and was I given it. (sic) No. I was also short of 8 months of retiring and I guess they thought they could save alot of money on this."

On his machine gun collection:

"I never had a criminal background and I want these things off of my record. Who will hire you with a firing mentioned on your resume? Also it was mentioned that I was a Class III collector (machineguns) for 25 years only as an investment. I have never threatened anyone with a gun, since leaving Vietnam and I am not insane as people may believe. ...  My collection of Class III weapons were all registered with ATF and to possess something like you have to have permits from the ATF and permission from Washington County Sheriff's Department. If they see you as an endangerment to the community, that would never of been granted. I had no record of anysort. Before I left Portland, I transferred them out of my possession, to a Class II dealer."

On Hunt's version of events:

"This other lie about a resignation, John must of sat on that for months. He never had any intention of doing so. Everytime that guy opens his mouth he is lying. You present my side and I will be thankful."

What he wants:

"If anyone is a criminal it's TriMet and their union boss. Also if John Hunt wants to settle things have him email me, otherwise I am going to take this story somewhere else. I would like my resignation and my about $1,000.00 to be paid back to me that was stolen by the Union, a letter and public apology by the Union, my dignity, and some compensation of 8 months pay as a compromise."

He obviously has no love for TriMet or union management.

Of course, it should be noted that the last Oregonian reporter who wrote a story about Stenger started receiving harassing e-mails. Also, magazine subscriptions in her name started showing up at Hansen's home. Eventually, she filed a complaint with Multnomah County prosecutors.

Meanwhile, another harassed transit official has stepped out of the ether.

Doug Stanley, assistant manager of Portland Streetcar operations and Stenger's manager when he worked for TriMet, said Stenger was "a terrible employee" whose harassment played a large role in the end of his marriage two years ago.

Stanley wrote:

"Stenger has sent magazine subscriptions to my home, advertised that the entire contents of my home was for sale for $7,500, ordered hundreds of dollars of take-out food, advertised that I provide massage services and other businesses that I have nothing to do with. He has called my home, threatened my life, told my son once 'have your dad come outside. I’m here waiting to kill him.' He has posted a blog 'Me, Doug Stanley, a man living with AIDS.'  He also arranged a wake-up service to call my home. For a time. my children were afraid to go out of their home alone."

Stanley said Stenger was "terminated from TriMet for MORE than sufficient cause. His actions have been simply astonishing.  I, along with TriMet employees, have met with the US Attorney and the FBI.  There has been no action on their part that I know of. I suggested that they send agents to Stengers home and do a knock and talk. To my knowledge there has been no action taken."

The FBI won't confirm whether there is an investigation, but said going after Stenger would be difficult because he is living outside the U.S.

When it comes to victims, Stanley wrote, "there are many of us."

Fired TriMet driver responds: 'Joe Rose, you looking for me?' | OregonLive.com

-- Joseph Rose, Twitter: pdxcommute

No comments: