Trimess

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Trimet bus driver dangers


Here is reason number 3 to fill out those "white cards".  INJURY'S while on the bus. 
This is my story.  Just the other week (the end of March), I got on bus number 1614, immediately noticed it smelled bad musty/moldy, and the ever present smell of a dust-like substance.  While driving this bus, I noticed the dust-like smell got more potent with an odd oil/coolant mix.  These combinations of smell made my eyes, nose and throat burn.  When I finished my shift, all these smell where still going, this time with a burnt smell, and I noticed that my face was itching badly.  I made out the white card for it then, went home.  When I got home, I washed my face (which helped), but my throat was still sore.  I woke up the next morning, brushed my teeth, gargled, spat and found that I had blood in the mucus.  I gargled until it was clear.  Went to work and talked to Chief Sue. She asked me to fill out a "report of occupational injury/illness form.  The form and the white card leaves a track record (with Acid number) of that toxic bus so that no one else will be affected.  I personally will not drive this particular 1600, until it has the HVAC and duct work cleaned and the heater in the front scrubbed, no one else should go threw this.
 
Protect yourselves and ALL TIMES

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1614 is a nasty one. We regularly get that bus on the 51. It sucks. And it breaks down alot. That is one bus of many that has reached the end of its life