Trimess

Friday, June 15, 2012

Tom Horton's comment on the union election

Let me be clear: The margin of President-Elect Hansen's victory over former incumbent Heintzman was all of 242 votes. Many of us have identified Mr. Heintzman as perpetuating the exclusive and secretive culture of our union's leadership history. Mr. Heintzman is responsible for gerrymandering our local and wasting the majority votes of my TriMet brothers and sisters.
I entered this race very late compared to President-Elect Hansen's announcement last fall. Since February 14th, I was able to raise a few hundred dollars and still fewer volunteers. My campaign simply ran out of funds. Once Ron Heintzman entered the competition on Nomination Day, my position became clear--split the votes, or be the "spoiler" for either one or the other.
I will contend that President-Elect Hansen won his narrow victory because of the positions he and I share about the established incumbency created by Former President Heintzman. I got, "Clobbered," NOT because of the ideals an principles I espoused in my campaign, but rather for want of funding and organization.
If I had elected to spend my own money on campaign posters, buttons, and junk mailings, like many candidates did, President-Elect Hansen's supporters would be calling me more names than just, "SPOILER!"
From Portland Afoot

No comments: