Trimess

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Seen on Facebook

BEFORE I FORGET AGAIN: 3000-SERIES BUSES don't appear to include an overhead flood light like the New Flyers do. This has me concerned for a number of reasons, not the least of which is for defensive driving.


In 'light' (pardon the pun) of the Day/Sales tragedy, I find it more important than ever to, "Make myself seen by others," according to the Smith System, when approaching intersections with pedestrians, bicyclists, skaters, and other motorists, to throw on that overhead light so others can either see me seeing them, or not (as the case may be). The overhead flood light has become a valuable tool for my defensive driving bag-o-tricks, and I'd hate to see it go away.

Also, I find it valuable for 'passenger assistance' when helping boarding passengers find their fares in the deep, dark recesses of their purses, backpacks, and shopping bags. That flood light over the farebox helps make an unverbal reminder of the passengers obligation to pay and reduces the need for my verbal reminder. Other Passengers also watch what's going on at the farebox and subsequently take a vested interest in compelling would-be fare evaders to have their fare ready.

Somebody told me (I sorry I forgot who) that there are in excess of one hundred 'fixes' that still have to be performed on the new 3000-series buses before they will be signed off and received from the factory. MY QUESTION: Is it too late to add this valuable equipment to the list? Can any of you folks in the white shirts, (or perhaps even our union leadership) pursue this question for us?

No comments: