Friday, December 30, 2011


Attention all Oregon state taxpayers

Through our tax system, the State of Oregon gives each tax-paying Oregonian a $50 gift. But you can't keep it. Instead, you must either pay it back in state taxes -- or donate it to a qualified political campaign or cause.

To put it another way: By donating $50 to a political campaign of your choice, you can reduce your taxes or increase your refund by that same $50 (assuming you pay at least $50 in taxes). That's right: it's a full 100% credit, not a deduction. Better yet, if you are married, the state allows a $100 credit. I know that's small change for the Koch brothers, but it's an opportunity for the rest of us to have our say too.

For more information, check out the Oregon Department of Revenue web site:

For your information, Suzanne Bonamici for Congress, Jobs With Justice, Move to Amend, and The Other 98% gets my donations this year.


Al M said...

If you don't itemize does this work?

Ross Wrede said...

I'm 99% sure you can. If you itemize, you are taking deductions. This a credit which is calculated after your state taxes are determined.

I am not a tax professional so do your own due diligence.

Max said...

Ross is correct, it goes into 16a / 16b on 40S.

Al M said...

Hey Max there is no 40s this year!