Trimess

Friday, August 3, 2012

So, In My Ongoing History of Unusual Things

I got my honored citizens' pass and ID today, as sanctioned by my healthcare provider. Reason being that without it, I'd be barely able, if able at all, to attend any of my important appointments... I guess, hey, don't question a good thing. I won't be facing an increase just yet...

I can't tell if I'm a bit embarrassed or not that my mental disorders (such as Autism and bi-polar disorder) were what qualified me for this... but hey, why question it?

The ID card goes out in 5 years. By then I'll legally be able to drink. Hahaha.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cameron..don't ever be embarassed. You are one of the millions that share these same health challenges.

I think you are driven, smart, and funny as hell. Life holds good things for you--go get it!

Cameron Johnson said...

Haha, thanks. It's always nice to have an army of anonymous people to back me up. I mean that, too. It's wicked cool. :)

Al M said...

If you can get it, then get it.
Who cares how you get the discount card, and stop labeling yourself.

Cameron Johnson said...

Al, there's a difference between labeling myself and in fact being autistic. I am in fact autistic. I like it. In fact I'm kind of glad for it. Without it I wouldn't be interested in TriMet in the first place. It shapes a lot of who I am, for better and for worse. I'm proud of it, not thinking of it as a label. It's not necessarily a disability in itself, and honestly it's my bi-polar disorder that's more the problem. I appreciate your attempts to help me feel better, but I embrace my autism; it's not always a 'despite my autism' thing, it's often a 'because of my autism' thing.

Just thought you should know.

Al M said...

OK reasonable enough point...
Just want you to know I don't view you as 'autistic', I view you as a person, just like every other person.

Cameron Johnson said...

I know. I'm glad for that. :)

Anonymous said...

Doesn't that mean your fare went DOWN (compared to youth fare)?

Welcome to adulthood

Anonymous said...

Stay positive Cameron. That being said, the Honored Citizen,program will give those cards out without checking with doctors. Most of "us" drivers have a love hate relationship with them. "We" know that you can get those things if you have a broken finger, a cold, or the craps.