Trimess

Friday, January 3, 2014

TRIMET DRIVERS ASK FOR INCREASED SECURITY






Posted on January 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Updated today at 9:07 AM

Related:

TriMet drivers face threats, attacks
TriMet driver hit 15 times for 50 cents of fare
Crime up on MAX; TriMet adds cameras
Third MAX line stabbing reported in 5 days

PORTLAND – A man accused of attacking a TriMet bus driver was freed from jail Thursday pending his next court appearance and now fellow TriMet drivers are asking for increased safety measures.

Daemon Bowman, 39, is accused of getting upset over a fare and attacking driver Pam Thompson on Dec. 12.

“He grabbed me and turned me around and threw me behind the driver's seat and pinned me between the driver's seat and proceeded to pound my head about 15 times,” Thompson told KGW.

Background: TriMet driver hit 15 times for 50 cents of fare

“I've seen the video and audio—clean, uncut audio—and it's terrifying,” said fellow driver Dan Martin. He’s been driving a bus for more than 10 years and said he was also assaulted on the job.

“Just standing and waiting to relieve a bus and a guy comes out and puts a gun in me and another driver's faces,” Martin said.

He said he’s fed up with fearing and hearing about assaults. He believes the agency should install Plexiglas shields to protect the drivers. Union president Bruce Hansen said TriMet should add even more security measures, like increased policing, additional fare inspectors, and tougher laws.

“It’s a huge issue,” Hansen said. “It's an issue that'll probably end up in legislation again.”

Trimet executive director of safety and security Harry Saporta said the agency has been adding security in light of recent attacks. The agency has already its increased patrols at bus operator lay over zones and installed 4,000 cameras on buses, MAX trains and at stations.

More: TriMet boosts security after 3rd MAX stabbing

“Those cameras help us apprehend those who might commit a crime on the system,” he said.

But drivers point out that the cameras don't prevent the threats they face on a daily basis. And after Daemon Bowman was accused of pummeling and terrorizing driver Pam Thompson, he was able to walk free. If convicted, he will only face 60 days in jail. The transit union said that is unacceptable.

Related: TriMet driver stabbed in April still recovering

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a driver I take my safety seriously and that's why I carry a Glock 9mm with me wherever I go yes even when I'm driving the bus no trimet will never know because its call a FUCKING concealed carry TriMet is not allowed to make rules about guns its in the state constitution

Al M said...

Trimet will fire u if they find out!

always roaming said...

When would you use that Glock while on the job?

If you were to kill somebody who had assaulted you over a fare dispute, you'd not only lose your job but end up spending time in the slammer as well.

In situations where transit operators were killed or wounded by passengers shooting them, in the majority of cases, it turns out that the driver would not have had time to pull out that weapon before being incapacitated (or dying) or the the culprit getting away before being able to get off a shot.

I'm going to cite some things that happened in Seattle while I lived there. One was the death of Mark McLauglin when he was shot and his articulated bus plunged off the Aurora Bridge in 1998. Brother McLaughlin, even if carrying a concealed weapon, would not have had time to defend himself before being incapacitated and losing control of the bus.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9811/28/bus.crash.04/

I'm sure carrying a concealed weapon while driving a bus is prohibited by all transit agencies in the U.S. and I agree with Al ...you'd lose your job if anybody were to find out you were carrying while on the job. Your state constitution may not protect you from losing your job. Again, I'll cite a Seattle case more than 25-years ago. Brother John Cherry was fired for carrying a concealed weapon (amongst other things) for which he had a permit. At first the courts ruled in his favor but the case was appealed and later ruled in favor of the transit agency. It's always been a policy of Metro in Seattle that drivers are not to carry weapons. It's an agreement between the agency and ATU 587.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19910419&slug=1278367

I drove a bus for over 30 years for a transit agency much larger than TriMet and just as dangerous if not more so. I took my safety seriously too. However, I wouldn't have given any serious thought to carrying while on the job against my employer's policies no matter what legal or constitutional rights I thought I might have. You may "think" and feel that having a concealed weapon makes you safer but in reality, I really question whether it is actually making you safer at all.

Al M said...

I know for sure that the 'state constitution' does not prevent employers from imposing rules on their employees. You can walk around as a citizen of the state with a weapon but you cannot as a trimet bus driver and I have seen court cases that allows employers to set these rules. Nobody forces citizens to work at these employers

Al M said...

Remember I went through a lot of this Stuff when I worked there.

I was told I couldn't film off duty anybody using Trimet. But the public can film at will! How did that make sense?

I consulted an attorney and was told point blank that your employer can regulate your activities period on their property. If you don't like it you don't have to work there.

always roaming said...

Yup, early in my "career" I was told several times by managers when disputing some of the agency's rules or policies which I thought unfair or unjust that "if you don't like our rules, go find yourself another job."

Are there rules or policies worth fighting to change? ...sure there are. However, campaigning for changing policy that would permit all transit operators to carry concealed weapons is futile no matter what the gun lobby organizations might argue.

MAX Redline said...

You know, this is BS. More and more often, it seems, somebody's beating down on a bus operator and getting zip by way of punishment. If they aren't allowed to defend themselves, then they need a safe environment.

Not that that's going to help much when they go to use a break room.

But this could all be resolved if McFarlane was to get, say, another couple hundred grand in pay. You can bet he'd get right on it, then.

Unknown said...

Original poster is trolling. This is a serious matter, not one challange to the company in that video. THERE IS NO SOP ON WHAT TO DO IF SOMEONE HAS ONLY PARTIALY PAID OR REFUSES TO PAY, ITS ALL GREY AREA, THEY NEED TO CLEARIFY THE RULES ON THIS OR ALL THIS TALK IS JUST THAT!!!!!!!
HB

Anonymous said...

I hate using TriMet. I have to ride the MAX frequently into East Portland where there are frequent stabbings, muggings, and murders on or around TriMet property. I am always carrying a cocked and locked .45 when riding TriMet which will be used ONLY if my life is in immediate danger. For everything else I carry a small canister of pepperspray on my keyring -- which I had to use last year at the Hollywood max stop on the bridge. Trimet isn't safe and encourage people to protect themselves.

Unknown said...

Try being a customer at least the drivers are somewhat secure behind their door. I started riding a week ago and have had a knife pulled on me and deranged individuals yelling crazy things at me every other day. The early morning trains are pretty much full of people whom may belong in an insane asylum....I believe I have rides my last max line.

Unknown said...

I guess I have never been on bud maybe they are not sectioned off like max.