Trimess

Tuesday, March 2, 2021

RYAN VIKEN'S MESSAGE TO KELSEY

 

KELSEY EXPANDED THE ROLL OF THE  POLICE STATE AT TRIMET TO NEW HEIGHTS
 

Mr.  Kelsey: 

 

Good afternoon.  I meant to get this to you before today, but because of Covid and caring for mother I was unable to do so.  I read the “TriMet News” article written by Roberta Altstadt on December 17, 2020 with contributions from Bruce Warner, President of the TriMet Board of Directors. I would like to share with you my experience under your leadership at TriMet.  While I am sure you may deserve praise, in my view, Ms. Altstadt and Mr. Warner did a complete disservice to all TriMet stakeholders. 

This includes, but is not limited to, all TriMet employees, Board of Directors, Governor Brown, the communities and customers we serve, and most of all, the employers/employees paying a Payroll or Self Employment Tax to TriMet.

From my perspective (one that is shared by many frontline employees), under your leadership the agency has gone backward, not forward.  It is clear from Ms. Altstadt’s PR spin, including Mr. Warner’s input, very little is known about what is going on in this agency; especially when it comes to getting the work done.   You and your team have made it very clear that this organization does not believe in transparency or accountability; when it comes to management’s operation of the company. 

Personally, the lack of integrity in the management ranks, is deplorable.  Managers and staff personnel will do whatever it takes, including shred public documents, falsify information, and even lie for the agency; versus doing what is right.  The worst part, is that the company just looks the other way, when it comes to holding their management team accountable.

While this may be your last rodeo, I can assure this is not my first, when it comes to recognizing management misconduct; including management abuses towards employees.  Mr. Kelsey, I know what it takes to be successful in both the public, and private sectors. Whether it was running my own business, working for one of the world’s largest multinational energy companies, or even spending nearly 10 years in international business.  At the end of the day, without your frontline employees, your business would cease to exist. 

Given what I have personally experienced at TriMet, in time, if the right leadership changes are not made, it would not surprise me if the agency destroys itself from within.  I have been at TriMet eight plus years.  During that time, I have never seen an organization with such low regard for the people that actually do the work….the UNION Employees. 

 

Under Mr. Kelsey’s Leadership:

 

  • TriMet (you and your team) failed to reach a fair employment contract with Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 757- leaving the agency’s most important asset, its Union Employees without a fair labor contract.  There is no TriMet, without the ATU 757. 
  • TriMet has shown zero commitment to Transparency and Accountability
  • TriMet has weaponized the Service Improvement Program (SIP), to control employees, by using tactics such as intimidation, coercion and bullying against its UNION workforce.  Thus, deliberately creating and fostering a hostile work environment.
  • TriMet deliberately uses its deeply flawed SIP system to discipline, up to, and including termination of an employee, even when the SIP is unsubstantiated.  No proof.  No due process.  In my opinion, TriMet’s use of its SIP program deliberately destroy employees, their families and their livelihoods.
  • TriMet’s Deputy General Counsel, Worker’s Compensation attempted to pressure my PCP to change their original medical diagnosis, for an on-the-job injury. 
  • TriMet’s Executive Director, Labor Relations & Human Resources when informed of the Deputy General Counsel’s inappropriate conduct, chose not to respond.  Why?
  • TriMet’s refusal to record investigatory meetings between Union Employees and management is for two reasons.  1) Protect management 2) Hide management abuses toward Union Employees. 
  • Employee Assaults continue to be a major issue for TriMet workers.
  • Director of Labor Relations is obstructing an investigation in retaliation for exposing management misconduct.
  • Director of Bus Operations taking retaliatory action against an employee for exposing serious incompetence by several staff members.  This includes an Assistant Manager shredding public documents, an Administrative Assistant falsifying an HR Report to deliberately harm the employee, and a Garage Manager lying directly to you, Mr. Kelsey; to protect their job.

 

Mr. Kelsey, fair or not, I believe the points made above are a direct reflection of your leadership at TriMet.  The corruption, deceit and lies all took place on your watch - and you know it.  I have always communicated my concerns to you, as I see this as a systemic problem, agency wide. Yet to my knowledge, you have done nothing.  Instead of becoming part of the solution, I believe you were part of the problem.

 

I would like to mention one more item.  Is it true in 2020, TriMet was fined $1.75 million USD (potentially up to $ 2 million) for being out-of-compliance (illegal use of software) by one of the agency’s software vendors?  If yes, have all stakeholders been notified? I have seen nothing from TriMet, or anything in the media.  Does the public have a right to know how TriMet runs operations?  I would think so, given the amount of funding that comes from taxpayers.  Has Board of Director President, Bruce Warner been informed? If yes, what was Mr. Warner’s response?  Again, I believe all our stakeholders have a right to know how this agency is run.  Is this the reason TriMet has deliberately not reached a labor contract with the Amalgamated Transit Union?  Where is the transparency and accountability?..........

 

In closing, the legacy I will remember most from your time at TriMet, is your management team and their misconduct, and constant abuse toward UNION Employees; who I believe are the District’s most valuable asset. It is just shameful how Union Employees are treated at TriMet.   What I will remember about you personally happened Oct 3, 2016, when we had a chance meeting at the Embassy Suites, Washington Square; where you were giving a presentation specific to your 5-year plan and the SW Corridor Project.  I asked you "what is your plan for the SW Corridor Project?" You said “who the F*** knows?!”  I had never heard such an irreverent comment from the head of any company.  I won't ever forget that. Actually, the more I think about it, the response pretty sums up why your management team is so abusive toward the workforce. 

 

Have a nice retirement.

Sincerely,

Ryan Viken

1 comment:

Steve Fung said...

Way to go Ryan !
Epic verbal beatdown
of the TriMet GM.