Trimess

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Talkie Review

I caught one of the prototype "talkie" buses today. I rode the 15 from SE Morrison & 7th to NW 23rd & Irving. Here's what I found:

- 2 cases the announcement was made during a non-turn (ex: pulling out from a bus stop)

- 1 case the bus entered the crosswalk at the "Ped" in "Pedestrians, the bus is turning."

- 1 case the bus entered the crosswalk at "the"

- 1 case the warning activated while the bus was totally stopped at a red light! (I guess the driver turned the wheel in preparation for a right turn?)

You can clearly hear the notice from inside the bus. I guess I wouldn't call this system annoying, just useless -- since generally speaking you won't hear the notice (much less have time to react) until the bus is already past the intersection.

1 comment:

Al M said...

Why does this not surprise me?