Trimess

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

WATCH OUT, INQUISITION HEADED OUR WAY (again)

http://www.portlandonline.com/oni/index.cfm?a=345263&c=52629
I made a response to this:

I'm a bus operator at Trimet and I object to the insinuation that the announcements are not being made properly.
In my 14 years here I have not experienced even one disabled person having a problem finding a stop on any bus that I have driven.
I do not have the benefit of the automated stop announcement, which most Trimet buses are equipped with.
Furthermore, I use my voice to make the necessary announcement since using the microphone is a serious safety hazard due to my having to move my head significantly which requires me to take my eyes off the road. I know operators that have had their teeth knocked right out of their head by those microphones!
There are operating conditions that the full attention on the road rather than worrying about making a stop announcement.
Would you rather hear what street your at or get their in an uninjured condition?
Making these sorts of complaints leads to management conducting inquisitions of its operators rather than looking at the structural problems that are causing the situation in the first place!
Bus operators have been a favorite target of the public, press, and its own management, your actions in this regard will lead to further persecution of bus operators.

Al Margulies

No comments: