Trimess

Thursday, July 19, 2012

WHY THIS UNION IS FINISHED-FROM A UNION MEMBER FACEBOOK POST

I just described this syndrome in a comment to my post about getting out of blogging and lo and behold-this post was there on Facebook-I loath hoarders, selfish people who only care about themselves-they are the reason there are so many unemployed and even starving people on this planet:


Well. I guess I'm a dinosaur as far as active employees go, and I find the argument about "don't work your RDO's very amusing. So who do you think your impacting with that decision? Cause TM doesn't care, So who then? First of all yourself; a lighter paycheck; 2nd your coworkers, cause of cancelled runs,no leaders on route and overloads.And 3rd, our passengers; no bus shows up, longer wait time, and when it does,crowded bus full of unhappy passengers.(sorry about that but they are part of the mess too)To work or not work RDO should just be a personal choice.......Oh Ya, I work as many RDO's as I can commit to, and will do so till I sign my last trip sheet. Why? cause I do it for me,and doing so allows me to make very large deposits to my deferred comp acct. an amt. that I couldn't make without the OT. You see one day in the not so distant future I'm picking up my last pay check and my hard work will mean that I won't take a pay cut every month after that. So in closing,,, RDO's, work or not, choice is yours; who it "REALLY" impacts is not what you might have thought.
While I don't respect the man, I do respect the man's honesty.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He may need that extra money to live off of. He will be eating dog food if he continues to support the TM way.

Anonymous said...

It cost the company more money to pay you to work. Than to cancel runs. I say work and the 5 million short fall will be 10 million faster than they can add it up. If you hit a man in his pocket book he going be having to answer to a bigger man who losing money on his investment.

Erik H. said...

You know, I won't fault someone for earning a buck for their families. It's a privilege that one can work that overtime, and it's not their fault at all - nor should they be punished for taking advantage of more pay.

Instead, given TriMet's crack marketing team declaring that TriMet does not run any unsafe buses, it would be far better for TriMet's Operators to refuse to operate any equipment that isn't in tip-top shape, and for TriMet's mechanics to release any equipment that isn't in tip-top shape. No more of this releasing or operating vehicles that are "good enough". If it isn't 100%, don't drive it and don't release it.

I think most TriMet bus riders know how crappy the bus fleet is, and will have no problem going along with it and demand TriMet do something. This doesn't affect your pay, and the union will come out ahead by ensuring that every TriMet rider has a safe and reliable vehicle - every trip.

When TriMet is forced to actually deal with the maintenance backlog, and then have to come public with why Management chose to keep 22 year old buses on the road rather than using easily available federal funding to purchase newer, more reliable, more fuel efficient buses, then the public will direct its backlash at TriMet management - not the Union. The union has no say in the condition of the fleet (aside from its Mechanics doing - or not doing - their jobs).

HRSRampantLion said...

Another very good point by Erik H. and also an excellent suggestion too!

Anonymous said...

If that's what Greg wants to do I respect him for it.

Your comment about not respecting the man is a bullshit thing to say Al.

Everyone has to make a decision based on what is best for them.

I myself do not, at this time, need to work rdos but the time may come whn I may need to and if it does, I will, reluctantly, do it.

If you do not want to respect me, well, I really do not care.