Trimess

Monday, July 29, 2013

Another driver does the wrong thing

I don't understand the thinking of some of the drivers. Heck if I missed a stop or was on a detour I stopped when requested. As long as your at the side of the road its not dangerous, I never did understand why some drivers make a deal out of it.


Today, I filled out a form on TriMet's web site. For people not familiar, TriMet is the mass-transit system for the Portland metropolitan area. I sent them this message:
The bus [on TriMet Line 4] was rerouted. I don't know the exact reason. So, rather than take its normal route, the bus turned north at SE 50th, then proceeded east [sic; west] on Hawthorne. The reroute itself wasn't a problem as I was going to transfer to the 75, and anywhere along its route was an acceptable departure point. As the bus approached Cesar Chavez, I requested to be let off at "39th." The driver ignored my request. After we passed 35th [4 blocks past my requested point, and one bus stop along the line normally on this street]. I began demanding that the driver let me off immediately. The driver refused until we reached 22nd [one mile away, according to Google maps].
Also, I would like to mention that I'm mentally disabled, and this incident caused me great distress.
My mental condition is called Asperger's Syndrome. It is a form of Autism. During this incident and afterward it took all the self-control I had to avoid breaking down. I called a friend to pick me up, and another to talk with me on the phone to try and calm down. It's two days later and I'm still a little more uneasy socially than I usually am.
I received this response from TriMet:
Good afternoon Mr. Damewood,
Thank you for taking the time to contact TriMet with your report. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. We do endeavor to provide safe, quality, and professional service, and I am very sorry if we did not meet your expectation on this. I have personally turned this into the direct Manager. I can assure you they will review this report and take any necessary action needed. I have requested that the manager contact you after they complete their investigation. I do hope that your future rides with us are both pleasant and trouble free.
Best regards,
[ Employee Name ]
I have yet to hear from the manager.

ORIGINAL POST IS HERE

2 comments:

Nedwell said...

Al, I really agree with you. SE Hawthorne crosses most of the same streets as SE Division. Why wouldn't an operator honor the #14 stops going west? And why would the operator decide that SE 22nd was the first point to allow people off?

New, panicky operator? Or ticked-off veteran who's decided to punish the passengers for the reroute? Either way- a big fail.

Unknown said...

Easy answer, "SCHEDULE." Fear of not getting a break at the end of the line, when in fact they have one to take.
HB