Trimess

Monday, November 21, 2022

THE TRUTH ABOUT FARE AND TRIMET MANAGEMENT

 From a current bus driver:


I just wanted to let you know how I was trained.   
.
The trainers taught us to be polite about fares, they were inconsequential and if someone put even 5cents into the farebox to give them a ticket. They also told us (as well as many Operators told us) go ahead and give them free tickets.

       I am still giving out free tickets all day long.

I give out at least 10 tickets a shift, bare minimum. We were taught to be kind to the homeless. I especially give out day passes to homeless at night so they can get on the trains to stay warm.

 

I've been driving for about a year and a half now. I just never see fare inspectors on the buses.

We all give out free tickets (the newer drivers) they absolutely taught us that.

I find it so odd they are talking about raising fares. They have somewhere close to 35%-40% fare evasion on the buses now. I would think even if they charged half of what they do now, and enforced the fares they would have more revenue.

I think the fare increases are for the people on the system that use fare instruments and load money onto those. Most low income people scan their cards, but there's no fare on them so we just give them a ticket so they feel okay about it.

I know you oppose fare inspectors, but honestly I just rarely see them. I think mostly just on the trains and Max platforms.

TriMet does not oppose Operators handing out free tickets. They taught us to mitigate any fare dispute by printing tickets immediately, often the $5 day pass.

 

Also, the fareboxes they have, are jammed by coins constantly. So most of us cover the coin slot and just print tickets. Other Operators taught me this, to prevent coin jams.

I just feel like it's a big show at the TriMet Board meetings and nothing like reality at all.

As far as disputes with passengers for any reason at all, most of us don't report them anymore. There's no point, management is horrible to us.

 

A couple days ago I said to a guy nicely, "hey please remember to give me enough time to stop by pulling the bell sooner"
He exited the back door, walked up to the front door and took his fist and tried to break the glass on the door. Called me a bitch and walked away. I didn't bother to call it in, what for? Nothing will be done. They need security on the buses 

 

I actually couldn't believe a 30 year old male would do this to someone old enough to be his mother. He rides my block every Friday. He should be ashamed of himself. It's a job most people can't handle anymore. This is why

No comments: