Trimess

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Confessions of a ex Trimet bus driver-giving transfers

I always gave all zone transfers with at least 2 hours from the end of the line.
It's not laziness that prompted me to do that.
I gave out the ALL ZONES for a couple of reasons, first of all, and most importantly, the fare boxes were wrong.
Somebody would put in 2 one dollar bills and several coins.
The counter would show $2.25, I would give them a 2 zone transfer.
2 minutes after they sat down another quarter would drop through the fare box.
I had one too many incidents of this probably 3 years into my working at Trimet.
The benefit of the doubt always goes to the riders.

In regards to the 2 hour transfer.
How could Trimet management justify (of course I know they don't justify anything because they don't have too) giving a rider who lives on a route that gets once an hour service a one hour transfer when other riders live in areas that have 3-4 buses an hour get the same deal?
How is that transit equity?
I implemented OPAL's campaign for a fair transfer before OPAL suggested it. 
(you have power when you are a bus driver)

1 comment:

Nedwell said...

I had the same, late drop of coins happen many times.

For all the current inflexible issuing of expensive tickets for fare violations by Trimet, the dirty little secret has been for years that we (supervisors & drivers)know we can't trust our POS fare boxes, so we always give the customer the benefit of the doubt if there's a question.