Trimess

Thursday, May 3, 2012

NOTICE

I have just  been informed by one of my more reliable pals that it is not necessary to work my "one day full time". I still have my birthday and floaters even though Trimet rips off its part time employees by taking away their time off in order to take the "promotion" (from my point of view its a promotion to the end of a reasonable life style) My new plan is to use my birthday (alternate) and not work the one day of hell.


The truth is I never really fit into the Trimet culture, I was definitely Trimet counter culture.
Being treated as chattel as a number and not a human being is not something that I take well to. I knew immediately after undergoing the brutal 'line training' that full time here was not something I would ever be,  the brutality of driving a bus for 12 hours is not something I imagined even existed!


I maintained my sanity and my individuality through my blogging and writing.



Before the blogs I was writing short stories about my experiences.


Then for years I was a major contributor to the TRIMET OPERATORS YAHOO GROUP.
Chris Parker
That group was founded by Chris Parker, who made one mistake in his life, and that mistake ruined his life. He was a great guy and a good bus driver who cared about his passengers. He has faded away and with him the Yahoo group has faded.


But I went off on my own after several years on the Yahoo group.


Being part of the media gave my time at Trimet value and gave me a voice, even a small voice is better than no voice.


Of course I immensely enjoyed so many of the passengers, it was them that gave the work some meaning.


The fellowship  of many of my brother/sister  operators was a joy, so many great operators. (and some not so great)


Peggy Hansen

Steve Banta
My glory days were the Steve Banta/ Peggy Hanson executive leadership. Open minded and willing to  listen.


It all changed for me when Mcfarlane took over, and finally I started hating being a bus driver at Trimet.


When I was hauled into the office over a bogus complaint (which I could prove) and told by a middle manager that "I make myself a target" forced into mindless needless voice announcements because a "trimet spy" might be there is when I developed complete contempt for Trimet, they lie, they distort, they do it to their employees and they do it too the public. There is no better example of lack of transparency that Trimet Transit District.  I follow the bus news from around the country and the world and believe me, TRIMET functions in a world of its own when it comes to secrecy. Fred Hansen was successful at turning himself into a "guru"? It was all propaganda and distortion. There is nothing in Portland that stands out internationally in the transit world.
Fred in Australia-Mr Hero
So they had the first streetcar, so what? Hansen who collects a tidy $15,700/mo tax funded pension is now in Australia "double dipping" on the backs of the Australian tax payers now. I broke the story about his pending employment in Australia, he denied it and he waited but in the end he did what I knew he was going to do. At Trimet everything is for the executive class, to hell with the public and its employees. The managers say "safety is a value" then proceed to write schedules that make their drivers drive like hell with many runs having insufficient recovery time.


I don't want to be associated with an organization that operates like that. I'll take the golden health benefits "till death do us part" (as the liar Mcfarlane says) and go my way.


So my one day full time will NOT BE ME WORKING AT TRIMET.


I AM DONE- WAS DONE ON THE WEEKDAY 67.



Funny, I do not miss it at all, which surprises me, I actually thought I would. Instead I am in heaven knowing that I will never again have to listen to those idiots that call themselves managers lecturing me about bullshit. And never be in a situation where my life literally hangs in the balance of my job. It's brutally dangerous to be a bus driver, Mcfarlane has no clue when he whines about our health care while he hires six figure executives all with golden parachutes.


They have no idea what a good bus driver actually is or what he does.


Adios Trimet, thanks for the tiny pension and the health care, we'll see how long that lasts with that cutthroat Mcfarlane in charge being fully supported by that board of sock puppets and the weak kneed Judas Kitzhaber.  The man is a soulless government bureaucrat, existing on dollars that he never actually earned himself. 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry you feel that way about me Al. I always liked you and tried to help. And I never "lectured" you but you do like to embellish....it's okay...it's your job as a blogger. Take care man. You've got a good heart.

Al M said...

Greg? I'm not blaming you for any of that, I knew you were just following orders.

HRSRampantLion said...

Congratulations on your retirement, my friend. I wish you many years of peace and serenity ahead.--Tom Horton

Al M said...

Thanks Tom-you are one of the people who I actually enjoyed talking and being with. Good luck in your work to better the union!

Steve Fung said...

Al,at least I have on video your last day on the #67,that rainy saturday when I brought you coffee.

Al M said...

Sorry I missed your call last night Strve-was out shopping by the time I got back it was late.

Cameron Johnson said...

Al, tens of bloggers and drivers and riders are probably taking a shot in your honor somewhere.

I will not be one of them. BUT ONLY because I'm too young to illegally drink. In spirit, though, in spirit. You had an unforgettable run as a driver and a blogger, and you kicked ass. TriMet will never live you down, and it's only a shame that they have to. (Somehow, that makes sense... somewhere in my head)

Three cheers for Al, bro.

Cameron Johnson said...

Too young to illegally drink. That's how awesome I am.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about the fact that TM has taken a nose dive since McF has been "In Charge". The employees are the enemy now and our customers are just collateral damage. I work in MOW where the new vision of our Manager will have the supervisors, some whom had not even stepped on a rail tie until they became boss,report for work at 4am, Six hours after the Main Heavy Maintenance crews are on duty at 10pm. By 4am, The Maintenance crews need to be clear of the ROW for revenue service.Am I missing something here? Supervisors that report to work after the crews are done for the night? In MOW the supervisors do very little if any actual supervison and do absolutely no monitoring of the work or safety procedures. This is one more example of what has happened to all aspects of TM.

Good Luck, I hope to follow you soon because I cannot be part of this organization anymore. Blaming the employees for all their failures of management is not tolerable to me anymore. Keep the light on , so they know they are being watched too.

Steve said...

Al,
All the best, please stop by the next time you're in Phoenix.
Steve

Anonymous said...

In the New System to come, we will have a transit system that is not corrupt...where nothing is corrupt!! Till then, its just survive the best YOU can with that hope in mind. Having inside knowledge of this corrupt worldwide system of things,has helped me cope with over 30yrs of full-time servitude here at Trimet. Some things you simply cannot do much about becouse forces, for now, are bigger than us. But you have made it more fun for us here at Trimet, although i do feel bad about your frustrations. I hope it hasnt turned into bitterness and anger....self-destructive qualities, becouse you are just a person who cares alot and we love you man!! ENJOY YOUR RETIRMENT AND HAVE FUN WITH THE FEW YEARS LEFT IN THIS LIFE. (if that means continuing to expose the corruption here and elsewhere, so be it....but have fun and enjoy what your doing) SUNSETBOB

Anonymous said...

Best wishes Al..thanks for keeping the bright light on..well done.
Peggy Hanson

David Dorn said...

Al, tho we've not met I've enjoyed many of your postings. I retired Dec. 2011 because I could no longer deal w/upper management BS. McF ruined it for me. Prior to him Freddie was tolerable but "be careful what you ask for" is sure playing out @ TM now. Welcome to retirement and the joys of not having to be somewhere every day.

Al M said...

I'm loving it David-and they can't tell me what I can and can't do anymore, which is really what I wanted.