Trimess

Monday, February 10, 2014

POST CLARIFIED

There was some confusion with THIS  post which was basically my fault because I used the transcript from the google voice mail.

Here is the correct explanation

On a 3000 bus where they sent the bus out this morning with no chains other than the 'on spots' that's the new chains that drop down and rub against the tire as you drive. If you stopped and the tire stopped on a barb, there are 8 links of chain about 8 inches long they kick out and try to throw themselves under the tire as the tire is rolling. If you stop on one of those it accumulates debris. Then it is like stopping rubber on ice. The 'on spots' are not really like chains that wrap around the tire. This particular bus when you stepped on the brake it pulled extremely hard to the right. You know how people run for the bus when they want to get on the bus so if you're trying to stop and they are running for you there's a real high probability of you hitting them! They are running for you and you are sliding sideways! And the nose of the bus is heading for curbs, sign poles etc.

So I asked for a drag chain on my left front steer axle. They had a cow over that the female dispatcher had a temper tantrum meltdown because I asked for that. They pulled me off the bus took me back to the garage and I had to speak with a 'manager' over the incident. That manager was really busy and they got to me as quick as they could I mean that manager was busy like phones in each hand. They got me back on the bus, the same bus

2 comments:

Flatpicker John said...

The reason the bus was pulling to the right was because the engine is still trying to push the bus even when the brake os on. Puting the bus in neutral eliminates this. Too bad neither party new this.

Anonymous said...

"The reason the bus was pulling to the right was because the engine is still trying to push the bus even when the brake is on."

The bus in question here is #3020,
A like kind bus is #3046 which seems to be a pretty good bus in my opinion with out these problems. If it were me I would check the specifications as follows:

A. Check engine idle in gear and out of gear and reset it to the lower specification.

A. Check torque converter output pressures in gear and in neutral, reset them to the lower specification.

Unacceptable Answer: Never place any vehicle in neutral while moving, especially one that is grossly overloaded on its axles and relies on a transmission retarder to assist in stopping. A rear Pusher or Tag axle with an additional set of brakes would really help this situation.